Most of us have quite the opposite reality. We spend our lives looking - searching - desperately hoping for a better... something. What? Life, perhaps? We don't even know what we're searching for. Not really. I guess we just figure, we'll know it when we find it. So, on we search. And search. And search and search and we search until everything we had is now behind us because we can't see the good we have when we have it. We always want better. But what some of us never come to realize is that better seldom is, and that life is only now: In This Moment. After all, when we enter this life all we are promised is a moment. Everything else is just icing on the cake.
My experience in losing Ed a year and a half ago drove me deep into a study of death and the dying experience. An incredible journey. One that has allowed me to understand how completely small and unimportant each of us is when standing alone, and yet, how utterly significant we all are to those around us. And how we can touch another person in a way that will stay with him for the rest of his life - the way Ed touched mine. At the end of my life, be it in next week or in fifty years, I will rest easy in the knowledge that I have not spent it traveling on and on, searching for the next big thing. I will be at peace knowing I have served my fellow inhabitants on this earth, that I have loved deeply, and tried my hardest to lived out loud every breath of the way.

2 comments:
I hate to say this, but I have very much been searching lately, been anything but content. Of course, my solution to this is to immediately change my situation so I can FINALLY be content... and I'm missing the point. I need to learn to be content with my current situation. I'll try, and this post, and thinking about how much you loved Ed, what he meant to you, and how completely he lived, makes me want to do better. I'll get there.
PS- one thing that does make me content: go to my blog and watch the video I posted. So happy.
And search and search and we search until everything we had is now behind us because we can't see the good we have when we have it. We always want better. But what some of us never come to realize is that better seldom is, and that life is only now: In This Moment. After all, when we enter this life all we are promised is a moment. Everything else is just icing on the cake.
O.K Molly....I'm really loving what you have to say! Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts. Very thought provoking to say the least. Thanks for opening up your heart for all to see, maybe I will crack mine open through your words!
Post a Comment